Braunschweig Wolfenbuttel 1818 24 Mariengroschen

To me, the tone of both silver coins are completely different, an indication that the latter coin is a counterfeit. Am I wrong? I am not familiar with Klangproben (ringing testing).

To me, the tone of both silver coins are completely different, an indication that the latter coin is a counterfeit. Am I wrong? I am not familiar with Klangproben (ringing testing).
Hi,

Yes I did believe so but having spoken to several people about the scenario they don’t seem to have a concern for it :S

Thanks,

Mark.

This handeling is not the right way for old silver coins.

I guess that one of the coins perhaps may be a counterfeit.

But: if one coin has a plancet defect, ringing testing will give false results.

Auf gut Deutsch:

erstens geht man nicht so mit historischen Münzen um, da sie durch das Anschlagen Randfehler bekommen und zweitens ist die Methode bei alten Münzen fragwürdig, da den Klang verfälschende Schrötlingsfehler sehr häufig vorkommen.

Allerdings ist ein heller, lang anhaltender Klang ein Hinweis auf einen hohen Silbergehalt.

Was kann man tun um wirklich Gewissheit zu haben?

Nachwiegen, Archimedes (Tauchwägung), Magnetismus prüfen (ggf, auch mit Magnetwaage arbeiten), Prägebilder und Rand mit bekanntermaßen echten Münzen desselben Typs vergleichen, Wärmeleitfähigkeit testen (einfach mal ein paar Millimeter in heißes (90 Grad) Wasser halten, bei Silber wird es dann sehr schnell zu heiß, um es länger festzuhalten).....

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Hi,

I’m aware this is incorrect handling, Ive lost my white cotton gloves :(

Here are the technical specs between to two as a comparison. Please note both ride the magnetic slide completely the same. The coins are not perfectly round, the diameter of the 1817 at the smallest is: 32.28mm and largest 32.82mm. It has a thickness of 1.26mm. weighs 12.91g the density of this coin comes in at 10.41

1818:

Largest diameter is 33.08mm and smallest 32.69mm weighs the same at 12.91g Thickness the same 1.26mm The density of this coin comes in at 10.66

NGC Quotes 13.08g for this coin. Of course there can be margin for error given the time of the striking.

You don´t need to damage them: put both coins 3 mm in hot water (90 degrees Celsius)....
then you will feel the differenz, if one of both coins is not silver.

I have long believed the 1817 to be genuine. Both heat up at the same rate in hot water, equally about the same with an ice cube to the centre.

Edges are very similar the 1817 is weaker struck though. The 1818 is similar to my MS63 1821 issue.

The 1818 issue looks extremely like the 1818 issue Künker sold. Same die faults etc.. my only real concerns are he wider part of the diameter being over 33mm and the ping/Ring not being normal.

I have long believed the 1817 to be genuine. Both heat up at the same rate in hot water.....

If both heat up the same way, both coins are silver-coins.

One has a perfect planchet (it´s sound proofs thet this coin is silver) , the other has a planchet defect (the proof therefore is the same heating as the silver soin with perfect sound).

Zurück
Oben
Sie nutzen einen Adblocker

Sicherlich gibt es Seiten im Internet, die es mit Werbung übertreiben. Dieses Seite gehört nicht dazu!

Aus diesem Grunde bitte ich Sie, Ihren Adblocker zu deaktivieren. Danke!

Ich habe den Adblocker für diese Seite ausgeschaltet